Skip to main content

Let everyone's leadership shine



Nari sangh, that’s what they call their CBO or sangathan. Each nari Sangh has a separate name and the fascination is evident from the names they selected “chingari” (spark), “bijli” (thunder), “sankalp” (mission) along with names of myriad locally known female deities. Nari Sanghs started forming in villages of eastern UP early 2008. It was a time when the local organizations felt the need of going beyond working with elected women representatives and readying a ground for women’s leadership to emerge in a region now largely bereft of men. Men from this region migrate leaving behind their women to “man” the house and do more. But the social norms expected these women to remain hidden while shouldering these responsibilities. In their families they were to provide food to the hungry mouths and fetch water for the thirsty souls. But they were not to talk about the irregularities in the Public Distribution System (PDS) or for that matter had any say in deciding where the tube-well should be placed.

Getting together was their way to get back at this unreasonable demand laced with duality. Once they got the idea it spread like wild fire. Within two years more than 28,000 women have got together in 200 Gram Panchayats. They demanded and made sure they got NREGA cards. Opened bank accounts in their name and demanded work with the panchayats. Their persistence has started bearing fruits. More than 22,000 women have got jobs for the first time in these areas. The Nari Sangh and their unity is taking a legendary character. The PDS shop dealers never opened their shops except for the days that they thought fit. Now one has to just proclaim in front of a closed door “I am also a member of nari Sangh” for it to open any day! Women want this facility for everyone. They want each family to get ration on any day of the month and are working towards it. They have regularized more than 84 PDS shops and working towards more. The larger battle is to participate in planned development. This year women have decided to take on that battle too by participating in micro-planning exercises for NREGA along with the Gram Sabha. In many places the Nari Sangh meetings have assumed such proportions that the influential village leaders feel that these would soon become Gram Sabha open meetings in themselves.

I have worked with sangathans for a long time and sat with men speaking of village affairs and taking decisions for the sangathans where women formed the “numbers”, the quantity. It is a wonderful break from that monotony! It is great to hear women saying in meetings “We don’t need support of these men to get our due but they also come along. It is in their favor too.” And to witness men agreeing. After seeing one or two leaders leading a regional initiatives and taking unfair credit of the groups' achievements, it is great to hear women singing, “Chamkala ba...dekho sab ki pardhaniya”…Everyone’s leadership shone! And I can not have enough of the song “khub jobcard sabki banavela…nari sangh ki chamkal pardhaniya” (Oh we have made job cards for every one...the leadership of nari sangh has shone!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLfgyPySf4

Comments

  1. Absolutely! The strength & Power of Women's struggle. Well done! Excellent. Women humiliation should be avoided if you respect human rights according to international human rights law. India is a part of UN!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh