Skip to main content

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW! 

I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go! 

I became a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts. The first piece of "advice" I got was around changing my attire. I was told I must do that or my son would never consider me a mother! What is a mother without a pallu/anchal which can be used by children to wipe their hands, or cover themselves, I was told. I asked if western mothers or for that matter Goan or Sri Lankan mothers are considered mothers at all! The advisor was aghast! After all we were Bengali! And Bengali literature was full with the image of the mother with sari and anchal. Was I not even bothered about what kind of trouble my son would face when when he would not find that "literature mother" literally? Hmmm. No. That thought did not bother me beyond creating some doubts in my head. As it turns out children do not care about what mothers wear. 

When Gogol was 2 years and 8 months old, I spoke to him about good touch and bad touch. He was about to go to school in 2 months. I really wanted to do this before he went to school. Gogol understood it fine and I added more information every year. I was told it was too early. I was told by many, in later years too how they could not think of talking to even their 6 year olds about good touch- bad touch.  I was relating the experience and my son laughed, "It is the parents' inability to speak, Ma. They have not figured out how to say it due to their own stigma and hence make excuses. And that is true about menstruation and sex too." That reminded me of a funny incident around Gogol opening his Science book of 8th Standard. He found a whole chapter on bodily changes and went on with a lot of drama in his voice, "Oh my god! My friends are going to have a bad time! Really bad time! I want to see how Ma'am teaches this in the class, Ma. I think she will skip it!" I said, "Well! how do you know your friends know nothing about these? Maybe their mothers have spoken to them too!" He continued in the same amusing voice, "Oh no Ma! Not at all! Have no such illusion. I know what they think about menstruation, so please!!" I had to agree to laugh with him a bit more when he came back and told me a few months later how the chapter was only dealt with in a very cursory manner in school and how all students were very uncomfortable. We talked about homosexuality when he was 7 years old. I see my room-mate and friend, Ronita having that discussion with her kids since the time the second one was 3 years old. And she has a simple sentence for it. "Love is love!" You can not discriminate against love. And her children understand it perfectly well. It is some adults who love to ask questions that do not appear in children's heads. 

Gogol and I then started talking about the toys he played with. He still does not agree with me that I restricted his access to action figures and WWE shows on TV. He thought it was my gross overreaction to anything related to "violence". There was not such need. However, he got very nostalgic when I talked about how he wanted a tea-set on his 7th birthday and I found him a good one. He went on, "Oh how I loved it, Ma! The yellow cups, right? They were beautiful! Why don't you buy me another tea-set this birthday?" I said, "Oh sure! I can buy you a real bone-china tea-set now!" We discussed the details of the set to buy gleefully. I also told him there was stiff resistance by some of the people he loved on me buying these kind of toys for him. When he was about 2 years old, I got dolls for him. He loved playing with them. My cousin warned me, "Do not fret later when he grows up to be a homosexual man!" He, of course used the word "Gay". I told him as far as I know homosexuality does not work like that, and I will definitely not "fret" over sexuality of my son. Gogol was also told this in due course. That is, he is free to be what he wants and free to talk about what he feels he is, including if he feels he is gay. 


I was told not to talk about "birds and bees" with him. Or he will lose his "innocence". Those were the exact words used. I could not pay heed to that as all the child development books said otherwise. Although when I started speaking I was not sure how I would proceed if he asked anything that I did not know how to respond to but I still went ahead and it went fine. And when these people met my son almost a year after we had the talk and proceeded quite far in details by then, they found him amazingly innocent for his age over the 7 days they spent with him on a trip. I laughed a lot in my head! 

There is a funny anecdote on this. He watched the TV show "Friends" when he was in 9th Standard but the failure of contraceptive methods (referred to in the series) came up as a heated discussion between us when he was in standard 11th. As we were seriously discussing efficacy of these in a mall while walking vigorously towards a shop. We realised it was something odd when we saw a young man in his late 20s looking back to check this odd duo talking about contraception. 

And then of course I did not pay heed to almost everyone advising me on continuing with my non-existent marriage of Gogol's sake as he was only 12.5 years old then. To be honest, I could not, no more, but I had to hear all the usual crap about how a child needs both parents come what may! along with, "He would grow up too fast!" "He is at the doorstep of teenage and you will damage him emotionally!" "Children never take parent's break up well!" "You are selfish!" and the biggest weapon "You are not a good parent!". Circa today! He is for everyone to see at 19. Generally a very happy chap. Some of my friends find him one of the best raised boys around, I find him far from being the humane human I would like him to grow up to be. He has a long way to traverse still. And like I jokingly say to my friends, "He is finally living his teenage. We are not in good terms these days!" And we all laugh. The one thing I hope he learnt from me is that abusive relationships are not good for any one and every one has right to take a renewed chance at happiness. Well! That is my hope for him. But the one thing I can tell you with surety though about us these days. He hugs me much less than he used to, and I don't like it! 


Today at midnight he brought two pegs of whiskey to celebrate Mother's Day! We had good fun recapitulating all his favourite childhood stories for the 100th time! Or was it 106th time? Who knows!! But then, who cares?  






Comments

  1. Loved reading it - could almost visualise gogol's childhood journey ! Parenting tips here for me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pritha! There is no 2 plus 2 = 4 here...

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have seen few other strong women share same very open yet comfortable and understanding relationship with their sons and daughters. It's wonderful to see women bring up their children so successfully without the need to hide their true self, feelings or information that is usually censored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Supriya! "The need to hide their true self, feelings or information" arr at the root of unhappy lives is what I feel.

      Delete
  3. So beautifully penned. All parents specially moms could learn from your experiences Nayana. Only a happy and confident mother will raise happy and contented children. Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waoo... Living examples are all we need to shun the age old thought process. Children are individuals first ,they can understand emotions,can think and easily adapt to situations ,given a chance.

    You are a live example Nayana. If a parent can just be a guiding hand than a police, we can create a much evolved next Gen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are extremely resilient! It is us adults who complicate issues by bringing in extra load of norm related expectations. Thank you Nitika!

      Delete
  5. Love reading this.
    Di you are a live example for those, jo bachpan se hi ek ladke ko mard banane ki process me lag jaate hain. I really love the conversation between you and Gogol. Every sentence in each para is showing a live picture. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean a bad example, right Archana? Hahahha... I hope they understand how much damage they are causing. Thank you for reading and this lovely comment!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Wo mazak tha Archana! Jo log mardangi aur mardvad ko follow karna chahte hai, unke liye mai bad ya uncomfortable example zaroor hu. Tum bhi ho! Aur bani raho :)

      Delete
  7. Loved it. I think it was your presence only that made me comfortable talking on any topic with Pablo-Gogol. Excellent read. Happy Mother’s Day. Me and Pablo celebrated with red wine ��. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I need some red wine too! And I love how Pablo and Gogol now help me to talk on absolutely anything! I realised when you build people, they re-build you right away

      Delete
  8. Great sharing Nayana! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Nothing is taboo at our end as well and it has turned out well. So much for the right age for discussing "these topics" 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. You so so so echo my thoughts nayana... I would just say... Carry on, you are a wonderful mother... Kuch to log kahenge, logo ka kaam hai kehna.... It would reduce our work if we have more mothers in society like you. The so called sanskari mothers don't even train their girls for menstruation... Leave about other things... N you know what... I take gender sensitvity discussions together in age like 8th std, menstruation bring an initial session of it... N children take it so sensitively, I can't tell you.. The hush hush sound goes away after few minutes the session starts.. I wish each mother could do that. N that's also true... Children hardly care what their mother wears...
    Display of all kinds of emotions must be there to make them more sensitive... I really love you for what you are... N as a mother you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shabana. Coming from a psychologist, these words are music to my ears! Two points.. I always thought mothers (for that matter fathers too) have to yield to questioning on conduct, be vulnerable, be ready to admit mistakes, and come across as normal human beings. I think these really help. I do not know if I am anywhere near being the best of the mothers but yeah I try to be as human as possible as a mother. Love you!

      Delete
  10. Nicely penned life. Loved reading your blog for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Siuli di.. Baki-gulo bhalo lage ni bujhi na porha hoyni go?

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! You raised Gogol right. He will surely be a good human being who treats everyone equally and respect personal choices of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton! I hope he indeed becomes that.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful....wonder how I skipped reading this!
    I haven't met you as a mother- neither Gogol, as your son. But I have been following you on the Fb and seeing Gogol grow up as well.
    And yes, have stayed long enough in a similar social / economic context to perceive what it must have taken for you to keep on believing in yourself.
    Love you- Love your writing on parenting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh