Skip to main content

Kusumkhet part II

We spent the night under open sky in Kusumkhet. They gave me a string cot. There were many more cots around. We were still waiting for the rain in May end that year. You will remember the bus stand was 3.5 km away. Villagers had informed us that night, the only bus for the town leaves at 8 am. Shivaji bhau, my colleague and I hence woke up by 6 am and were ready to go after our morning cup of black tea. Most tribals in India do not take milk from animals and hence a cup of tea with milk is almost non-existent. We started by 7 am, well in time for our bus.

The path was full of ups and downs both literally and figuratively. On our way, we discussed tribals and their relations to the forest. Forest department and their role figured into our discussion and the nice discussion soon turned into hot debate with facts and figures and global trends. It was Shivaji bhau's turn to present his set of arguments as we reached the top of a small hillock and that caused an end to all our debates. Not because we accepted unconditionally whatever he said but because we saw our much coveted and only bus for the day in the stand. Already?? It was about 7.30 am. Were we imagining the bus? But then it soon disappeared too in front of our very own eyes! Three of us could not have the same nightmare, could we? But as it turned out, we could definitely live the same one.

We ran huffing and puffing the rest of the way although we already knew the bad news. It was just confirmed after reaching the bus stop. The bus was not to leave at 8 am, it was to leave at 7.30 am, like everyday. We were misinformed by villagers who seldom use watches. So there we were at the bus stand, with the only bus gone and no food stall in the vicinity. We were advised to try again the next day. Did we have something that important in the town? Dis we have to go to town? Well! Then the next option then was to walk another 6.5 Km to the nearest "main road" where we could get buses or trucks to take us to a bus stand which is serviced more than once by the Maharashtra State Transport Corporation buses.


We took the second option. My colleague had some dry roasted black gram in his bag. This was our only fuel to walk those miles. As the sun started rising we hardly had the energy to go back to our original debate. And mostly remained silent to conserve energy. We reached the main road and found a truck to carry us to the bus stand 2 hours later. We hardly saved any bit of that day! 

Walking through fields and roads, I thought about my last night's discussion with the villagers about health support systems available. What chance will a seriously ill person have in this area when he misses the proverbial last bus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh