Skip to main content

Generalization and stereotypes

The other day I posted a news about Sitar Maestro Ravi Shankar and Annapurna Devi on my Facebook page. A newspaper reported Ravi Shankar was uncomfortable with his wife's superior talent and that lead to the wife not playing publicly anymore. This was confirmed by the wife. I used that example to highlight a deep seated problem of masculinity which is to remain superior in a marital relationship. I thought I was being cautious while putting up the post as I lamented saying, "Why men, in general" instead of "Why all men...". It seemed later, I was not cautious enough. It caused some hurt around. Not so much with the male readers, at least not to the extent that they felt the need to defend their creed. In one response/reaction I was told, I was generalizing. I, on the other hand thought, I was pretty conscious, most of the time to avoid unnecessary generalization, based on isolated facts. In this case, I defended generalization. I soon however, remembered,  I get regularly upset with generalization. I  am now in a phase where I am consciously reducing my tendency to say, "I am different" (as I really am not) and trying a more politically correct "not all women behave like that" or "not all feminists think like that" or "not all NGO workers involved in corruption". It does not hide the fact well enough that I, myself get pretty hassled with generalization. (And worse is that I have tendencies to want to establish myself as a different from most of the womankind! One thing that I am working on, but that I will take up some other day.) It was only the other day that someone started testing me further on this and said, "As I have seen Mamata, Jayalalitha and Mayawati all behaving in a high handed manner can I deduce all women politicians are high handed?" I almost jumped to counter by saying that its too small a sample size and not statistically relevant. I could not, as all laughed as they could prove the point that I was averse to generalization. I laughed with them to. Part embarrassed. Part defeated. But, as I think now was that generalization? Or are we playing to the popular notions that are passed as "common sense" truths?

During these conversations, I also learnt about inductive and deductive reasoning. I was told that I apparently used inductive reasoning in my Facebook post as I used one case to deduce a large point. I did not! Ravi Shankar was the case in point. Not the "only" case. But who listened to me! :( Here I go ranting again! 

Now back to the question of generalization. When the point about generalization was raised and this time I was the one who used generalization, I decided to read up. I wanted to understand if generalization is as bad as it feels. Is it generalization that is bad? Or is it a particular type of generalization? I then looked up some definitions. And here is what they say. "All statements of fact or truth require generalization." (Surprise! Surprise! for me as well!) "A generalization is a statement based on a finite set of observations and experiences and yet which claims to hold true for the larger set, even for those cases that have not been seen or experienced. All generalizations, then, can be said to be theoretical. They offer a theory about how things are in general." 

For example, the statement "All trees have leaves" is a useful generalization, though no one person has ever been able to validate it by inspecting every tree on earth or every tree that has ever existed, and no one knows what trees will be like in the future. And of course most trees do not have leaves at various times of the year, and some trees are evergreens with needles instead of leaves. 


Here is the twist, though. Generalization originates in a rational effort to categorize, not in an irrational effort to oppress. This sentence might be a cue to understand generalization, better. The function of the generalization is to allow people to work better with trees, not to harm trees. The effect of the generalization, however, is to increase people's ability to manipulate nature to human ends, and so like all acts of knowledge this one affects the power balance between the one who knows and thing known.

Another and a more relevant example for our case. I read in the UNFPA report on Sex Ratio and the Gender Biased Sex Selection, "the very creation of the Census for the counting of the Indian population by the colonial state was fueled not just by Malthusian discourses of population or the need to fix caste and community boundaries, but by the wish to demonstrate its civilizing mission to combat ‘violence against women’ through addressing female infanticide via the counting of men and women, boys and girls (See Bhatnagar et al 2005 cited in Purewal 2010: 12). Certainly we see that, in 1911 and 1921, the Census divided north Indian castes into two groups based on the numbers of males and females – according to the figures put out, overall sex ratio figures were below 800 girls/women for 1000 men/boys among several Rajput castes, Jats, Ahirs and Gujjars in the north and north-west. Castes could thus be categorized according to how they treated their women, and marked as deviant accordingly (See Sen 2002; Malhotra 2002)." Entire castes marked as deviant! Generalization is thus widely used in natural as well as social sciences. In this case it has later, decades later actually, helped us to concentrate our efforts to curb the practice of sex selective elimination of female fetus. Without these generalization it would have been difficult to explain the dwindling sex ratio in the population with Indian origin in countries as far as Canada and United Kingdom.

Generalization would thus be important for scientific deductions. After reading quite a bit, I realized that we all would have to live with generalization and look for the scientific spirit behind it. I also realized, what all of us get disturbed about is a particular kind of generalization, a subset of generalization which, is called stereotypes. Many a times, we want to point out stereotypes when we cry "generalization!". Lets understand stereotypes now:

1. Stereotypes originate within and are caused by a history of socio-political struggle between unequal groups within a region, nation or society.
2. Stereotypes present generalizations which function to create or sustain inequalities of value, power, and/or wealth among socially constructed groups (by race, age, sex, class, religion etc.).
3. Stereotypes circulate repeatedly and systematically in a culture so that they are accepted as "common sense" truths by many people in the culture, even those who are the object of the stereotype.
4. Stereotypes appeal to the prejudices of the audience, exploiting these by attaching them to emotions of pleasure or hatred that are reinforced often by casting stereotypes within frameworks of entertainment.

The third one is my favorite. And if one of you wanted to call me out on my sense of humor, be careful! Read number 4, again. :) Therefore, "friends, Romans and country(wo)men", no respite here. I would keep "generalizing" to highlight important issues, especially related to gender. All the exceptions you present would be dutifully acknowledged. I love exceptions. They keep my hope alive. In the meanwhile, I would also keep talking against stereotyping. Not ending it here.

P.S.: I am thankful everyday for so many knowledgeable friends around me who compel me to read more, know more, direct me towards the right book, share the latest information and keep me updated. I am thankful I can turn to a friend, before I turn towards a library. 

Comments

  1. Tara Srinivas:

    Dear Nayana -

    Enjoyed reading your note on " Generalisations" and stereotypes. And good to know that you have started a systematic reading trajectory !! The blog sites and comment threads become incremental pieces of an autobiography too making you remember " the many lives lived by the mind" .

    I feel that the difference between Gen and Stereotypes need to be really scrutinised threadbare. When in my mind ( as a lay person) i hold a view that Maharashtrians are careful with their money , i have based it on a series of interactions / experiences/ etc. But stereotyping this in a serial like " .... ka ulta chasma" may be putting an observation in a box, and closing the lid.

    So consider the following ( Geo -India ) -
    1. Tamilians are good in maths and science / very disciplined
    2. Bengalis are so theoretical / so culture loving/ biggest travellers
    3. Put 2 Malayalis together - you get 2 political parties
    4. The Gujaratis have money in their DNA

    At some level, yes, these are first impressions - the exceptions will follow soon no doubt -

    I was particularly left amazed with Agatha Christie's book " Come, tell me how you live" An Archeological Memoir of the 1930s in Syria and IRAQ - she makes sweeping generalizations about the Arab workforce / Kurdish and Armenian workforce which is completely and enjoyably politically incorrect !!!. This was based on her author's keen eye as she accompanied her husband to the digs for 6 months at a stretch and stayed in the desert.

    I think the Inductive and Deductive modus operendi is crucial - We dont want to have a frozen mental image in mind when we interact with communities- it would be most boring and pathetic even - and take away from the excitement and freshness of meeting a new person/individual / mind / -- The deductions can be made much later ??? in good humour....???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh