Skip to main content

2015: a year of learning ..part 1

"I am the demon! Come have a look at me!" as he pushed himself into the car. It was past midnight in May. Delhi was hot as hell and Haryana looked as menacing as one has read in newspaper, that late in night. I touched my earlobe many a times as we looked for her house in old part of the city. My friend noticed my nervousness and talked in a calm voice with the driver as we took detours and u-turns through dark and semi dark alleys. The girl we were trying to reach was in dire need and we had to reach her. I did not know her. She did not know me. We had never seen each other. She could hardly give me the address. I absolutely did not know the locality. I could not get a known driver. I only knew that I had to go. I only knew I probably could only ask this friend to accompany. She only knew that I was her sister-in law's trusted friend. And she had to leave the home that night with her 3 year old kid. Her home was the most dangerous place for her that night. She was so desperate that she was ready to leave with a woman she absolutely did not know. Her husband made her worried. He also made me worried when we finally reached their lane. He opened the door of the car with a jerk. He wanted to take my picture. I pleaded with him not to. He wanted to keep an evidence. He was sarcastic. He wanted me to see the demon that was him. Did I? I don't think so. I saw a combination of need of medication, counselling and good advice. And the girl who came back with me that night, his wife, needed counselling and support from her family. She eventually got neither. Although we both, who traveled those 120 km of uncertainty to get her to safety that night, tried hard that she gets some of these at least, in the weeks that followed. We failed to get her any relief beyond what we could provide immediately. 

Next day when I was telling a friend about this incident, he promptly said, "Please find out why the husband had to hit her. Give him a chance to explain." I was shocked at first! He did not even ask whether I found out anything from the girl. He did not ask, how was the girl, physically, after such a violent event. He was not interested in what the girl said about the incident. I told him, "I neither asked the girl what happened, nor would I ask the guy. She sought my help to reach a place where she could feel safe until her parents arrive. I did what was asked from me. My role was limited. I was not to judge who did what and why that night." But when I was calmer, I realized why he was so anxious. He probably feels misunderstood more often than not. He projected himself in that man. Completely unnecessary. Like so many other unnecessary projections. 


The incident taught me many things. Not only that night but in the coming weeks too. It also taught me what all I won't do again. I was going alone that night to get the girl in distress from an area that I did not know with a commercial vehicle. It was late at night. I only reached home at wee hours of the morning. It was only by chance that my friend agreed to accompany. When he finally decided he would come along, I was already on my way. Had he not come, I would have gone alone! I am hugely thankful today that he came along. I would not try to do this alone, ever again.  Now I can also think of how else I could have better planned my journey that night, which I would hopefully remember if I ever have to do something similar. 


I was told by my friend many a times to not to react to the "husband", as he feared the husband may behave strangely even with us. I had assured him that this was something I never do. I don't use these opportunities to show how strongly I condemn violence. I remain focused on the person, who sought help. 


Although I kept telling myself that my role ends at giving her a safe shelter for a night, I was really sad when instead of getting her husband treatment, and arranging some counselling for her, her family sent her back to the same guy, to the same home. She remained as confused as ever. No one helped her by making her feel at home. No one gave her some time to calm down and think. I cried when I heard she returned. I wanted her to have more choices in her life. I wanted her husband to get treatment. I wanted her three year old to be safe and grow up in a better environment. I did not want this child to see a mother who had no other option but to stay in a violent home. I learnt to live with the fact that what I wanted for her meant nothing even when I helped in the moment of dire need. My advice was nothing to her parents. I was externally detached with her. I learnt that I need to practice greater detachment. 


I also observed people's reactions about the incident. They revealed a bit of themselves to me in doing so. And of course there was Vijay, my buddy, a lawyer by profession, who talks to whoever I ask him to without once telling me on my face "What Nayana! Why don't you learn?! These women never take any action. Never take any advice!"  He never says any of these things, although I keep asking him to talk to this person or that and his support is unstinting. As if it is enough for him that his friend has asked him to talk to someone. He makes me realize how self-centered I am. I wish some day I can become as good as him! The incident also showed how much I have to believe in myself to carry out a plan like that. Although, I know I would not go without another person with me that late in night any more, but it also taught me I really need conviction to carry out a task like that. I hope that my resolve to help a person in need remains unmoved even when I know that my efforts may not have any long term impact in their lives. 


And did I mention I could have broken the taxi driver's head three times over? Ha ha! I just remained calm because I had to get this girl to my home. I not only did not shout even once at him, I also profusely thanked him upon reaching home where Sangeeta, my house manager met us at the gate at 2.30 am with money from her own salary (I did not have enough cash) to pay the taxi. It was quite a night!


"As 2015 draws to a close I am made to think about my personal and professional journey during the year. I am really prodded and pushed to talk about the highlights of the year...." I started writing with these lines, but when I started writing about that eventful night of May, it became so long that it became a blog post in itself. People rightly say I get too involved in whatever I do! I guess I will have to write about my overall journey in another post.....

Comments

  1. Good articulation.... we all learn every day, sometime by seeing, sometime by hearing, sometime by reading and sometime experiencing ourselves. I learnt a lot too Nayana....
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree on that learning part

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh