Skip to main content

Identify your privileges. Its about time

I would start this write up with a mail that I had once written to The Telegraph in response to a column by a certain Ms Singh who ridiculed the idea of tribe groups protecting forests. She compared forest dwellers'claiming the land they have been living-in, with Waqf board claiming Taj Mahal. Laughable as it may seem now, for me, who was then working with the groups that were fighting for the passage of Forest Dweller's bill, it was enough to sit down and write a scathing letter to the editor and my boiling blood (which is colder by 10 years now!) made me make two "personal" comments. I said probably the author's limited exposure to the tribal and forest villages had led her to believe forests can not be protected in presence of human inhabitants living there whereas history shows in India, communities were brought-in, to protect forests (Van Tongiys for example). And I made a reference to her privileged upbringing. The editor of the news paper thankfully omitted this second point from my letter that was published, but when I read the column next week, the columnist was burning in rage and instructed me to burn in hell for making a reference to her privilege! The editor as I could understand, had shared the unedited letter with her. She told me in no unclear words that the forefathers in her marital family have taken great risk to reach the position they had in society, which mere mortals like me would not understand and hence erroniously referred to that as elite privilege. 

The fact, that she got intensely angry due to the reference to her privileges is the central point of today's note. I have seen this often. People often get angry if I refer to their privileges. 


We love to portray ourselves as self-made. We love to talk about our struggles. We love sharing both the real version as well as the "glorified" version. We intensely dislike any reference to our privileges. What is even more dangerous is that we don't even recognize our privileges. I once had an angry colleague sitting next to me in the same car for 2 hours when I made him count his privileges. He was an upper caste man from a family with large land that got tilled by lower caste people who sent their "share" to my colleague's house every year, diligently. Therefore, my colleague's family mostly never bought cereals and pulses from market. They lived in the state capital and not where the land was beng tilled. Does it get difficult to believe that he did not recognize his privileges? However, he also had some compelling logic. His father died early in life. His mother took care of the children living in state capital without any male member's help. He was the first one of his family to travel to Delhi and living on his own to further study and work. He used no connection. He had none, and worked hard to earn his living and fair amount of respect as a thorough professional. He therefore, concluded that poor were basically lazy and they did not want to take up challenges of life, hence they remained poor. If they only had been as industrious as him, they could have succeeded. If they only could take the challenge of leaving the comfort of their village, they could have come out of poverty. We had a heated debate about physical labor that villagers put in and how they are not paid what they should be paid given more worker. Of course he agreed with another colleague who said, markets should decide the wages and there should be no minimum wages. See there! We not only like to enjoy our privileges and deny having any, we constantly try to increase our privileges by ending other's basic rights. This colleague by the way, is a very nice man whom I dragged to some of the most difficult locations and he was ready to examine his thinking. Not all do.


When I say, we need to identify our privileges, it does not mean that we did not have our share of problems, as individuals. If you are a regular reader of my blog, you would have easily noticed the difficulties I faced growing up as a factory laborer's daughter  (http://ladybugfieldnotes.blogspot.in/2014/07/growing-up-in-industrial-township.html) who studied in a Bengali medium government aided school. At the same time you would notice that I mentioned that in Durgapur, we did not practice caste-ism in the staff quarters. It was only much later in life that I started adding a rider to it. I now say, " My father, who never went to college and did not have fancy degrees to show, was strongly against practicing of caste; and as we were from a higher caste family anyway, it might be why I did not notice practice of caste-ism in Durgapur steel township." I hope you have started counting my privileges by now. I had an exceptionally progressive father and I was from the highest caste which is not discriminated against in majority Hindu India. I grew up in a household that did not think girls should get married as soon as possible. I grew up in a household that did not have to stop children from going to school in want of money or due to strong discrimination children faced at school. I am a cisgender female. I did not have to face a dilemma regarding my sexual identity. Beyond being taunted for my dark skin by relatives who were perpetually worried about how would my father get me married, I have not faced many barriers due to my skin color. It was much later on that I had to try hard to fit into the "class" that most of my classmates in the post graduation course belonged to. Some of them found it funny that I could not speak English as a native speaker and made regular fun of me. And yes, I have been discriminated on the basis of my gender but as all the other factors worked in my favor, I could fight. That fight is still on. And will be there. However, there is no denying the fact that I am privileged. Especially now. And I consciously use my privileges of being a fluent English speaker, well-traveled, well-dressed, smart, urban woman with a job in a respected company to further the agenda of those who are not so privileged. 


If you are a urban adult cisgender male, higher caste Hindu, native English speaker and hold a degree in medicine or have a job in a  big multinational company, in India, can you imagine your privileges? If you are a male, Sunni Muslim, Sayyad, moneyed with enough land in Bhawalpur and live in Islamabad and have a degree from some prestigious university in your country or abroad, can you please start counting your privileges? You two are the equivalent of "moneyed-white-straight male of USA" of our subcontinent. 

If we still can not count our privileges, a quiz from buzzfeed will help you understand, step by step, how privileged you are. Check for "how privileged you are" in google. 


Oh! By the way, did I tell you, that certain Ms Singh was married in the one of great rich families of Delhi, there are areas that are named after her family-members, and our colonial rulers got some particularly great service from them? Of course she denied any privilege. It was sheer hard work! :)

Comments

  1. Several issues merged together nicely in this article Nayana...
    1. Merginalizef society.
    2. Caste based discrimination
    3. Poverty vs lazyness
    4. Skin color based discrimination

    ... And the list continues along with hypocrisy of one of us whom you referred as Ms Singh. Ms Singhs are not minority in our society Nayana. In fact, people like you are... Majority thinks like Ms Singh.

    There is a huge misunderstanding about the 'recognition of forest act'. A great deal of the debate is fuelled by misunderstandings of the purpose of the Act. The most common is that the purpose of the law is to distribute forest land to forest dwellers or tribals, often claimed to be at the rate of 4 hectares per family. The Act is intended to recognise lands that are already under cultivation as on 13 December 2005, not to grant title to any new lands. These guys are maintaining the forest for decades, forest is safe in their hands, not in ours. Comparing this with WAKF board land acquisition is nothing but stupidity.

    Just wanna make one more comment here, to me poverty is not die to laziness. It's because of lack of employability of certain skills that some people have. If you can make the skill employable, the person will not be poor. For example, the guy pulls the rickshaw may be poor, but probably he is a good singer or may be an good artist.. If you can make that skill employable, he will no longer be poor... Probably I am giving a too simple example.
    Being a minority, you don't have a choice ... You'll have to fight it out.. Otherwise have to retire .... like me hahahaha
    Lastly, enjoyed a lot reading... As usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamalda, I also think poverty in our country is a result of poor wages. Pay a guy what he should earn according to his daily labour. Re-haul the minimum wages.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh