Skip to main content

When Grief Arrives, You Give In!

Although I so want to write about it, I really do not know what is a good starting point. Is it a good starting point to mention what I said to my therapist about my experience of 2020?  I said how it still scares me. I told a few days ago that I do not have the feeling of "Been there, done that". I do not have the feeling of "Bring it on! I have seen the worst and I am back!" No! I do not feel victorious. I do not feel like a phoenix. When you have an encounter with a wild animal and you are torn into pieces but you some how come out alive and take months/years to finally get back to living the rest of your life, do you think you now have seen it all and think, "Who cares if another tiger leaps at me from the next bush! I have seen it all!! I can get out of it alive again!!"? I doubt that. You probably are too thankful to be alive! You would do anything to avoid another incident like that. 

Let me reiterate. Till now I never think, "I have come back from the bottomless pit so bring it on baby!" I never want to be back there, ever! Am I aware that there is still a possibility of lodging back there? Yes! I am. However, I want to do everything to not to be there, including dusting the darkest corners of myself regularly. 

Let me tell you why I started thinking about the time and my take on it all over again. Yesterday night a dear human being wrote thanking me and said now that they are out of that darkest place, they know they can. They would not lose the track again. I loved the confidence but was scared for the person. I kept reminding the practices. I was assured those will be practiced. My fingers stopped typing, but my heart was not comforted. 

The conversation brought back the memories of the nights I spent dreading the morning and the days I passed thinking the next day would just be the same and the time when I almost scrambled for something to hold on to in the name of hope. I felt totally hopeless. I did not look forward to anything. Anything at all. And this was completely new to me! I always described myself as pathologically optimist before this period. And there I was, sitting blank about the next day. I did not know if the pain would be less the next day and I did not know how! I did not know how long will I have to carry on being hurled into this bottomless pit. I struggled to bear it that day and I did not have a roadmap. I felt desperate! I saw no light at the end of the tunnel. I had to learn to give in. I had to let grief rule. It was so not me to do that!

Let me quote Brené Brown here, who I read quite often (blame it on my affinity towards a fellow student of Social Work). She says, "We can’t ignore hopelessness and despair in ourselves or others—they are both reliable predictors of suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, and completed suicide, especially when hopelessness is accompanied by emotional pain." And my emotional pain was numbing at that point. No! I did not think of dying by suicide. I did not plan anything. However, I did think dying would be so much easier than living on at that point. And I thought of that many times. I am thankful that I had the intelligence of assessing something big was coming and I was not doing too well and thus creating a professional safety-net in which I could share this. Not a great space, but still a space. And this was of course not a friend. The friends I had thus far were more used to my being strong and were more like my version 2.1. That is, how I was before this period. They could only think of how to solve the issue. They were not comfortable being around my pain and just sitting there with me as I writhed in pain. In their efforts to lessen my pain they at times absolved the abusers of any wilful wrong doing (as if that is any consolation), in other times they said I should have seen the period coming and hence should not be grieving like that. They did not have time for such a prolonged period of grief. They also got angry at their inability to do something (they felt helplessness in reality, but we are more comfortable being "mad" at something) immediately, and in turn on my inability to "move on". 

I was on the other hand in no position make them feel better by feigning "I was better" and I am quite thankful for that. If I could have done that yet again, I would have stayed version 2.1. Had I not been broken so badly, I would not have seen the darkest of the crevices in my mind and I would have remained exactly how some of my friends were to me.  I was exactly that to them and to others in pain. I could listen to people with rapt attention though even before this period of realisation but I was not too kind to repeat stories. I so identify with my younger colleague who 

comes to me often and says, "...but Nayana... they are stuck at the same place. They do not take my advice and then get into the same troubles and come again to relate. What do I say other than '...but you already knew this would happen...I had told you that..' " That was me a few years ago. I told people what to do, how to solve, how to move on. I took great pride in being a problem-solver. To be fair, I told myself exactly the same things, "There is a problem. solve it! Do not sit with it." And to be even fairer, I did not have time to look at my emotional issues. I raised a young child single handedly and remained totally gaslighted by a family which believed (at least outwardly) and showed through their behaviour that nothing had happened to me. To them, it was just my own whim in a way to end my marriage. I do not always blame them. I see the role of social norm too. But I am diverting here.... 

Getting back to my 2020 days of grieving and why I would never dare to go back there... Like Elizabeth Gilbert said, "Grief is a force or energy that can not be controlled. It comes and goes on its schedule. Grief does not obey your plans, or your wishes. Grief will do whatever it wants to do with you, whenever it wants to." I was totally not prepared for anything like that. I, the control freak. I, the meticulous planner. When grief struck me, it struck me so hard that I was left gasping for breath for an indefinite period of time. And the indefinite part was more troubling than the gasping. It felt all pervasive. Everything felt meaningless. Every word felt like a lie. 


I tried to talk to friends. They reminded me that I was strong after all. That did not help! I did not feel strong at all! I wanted to see someone feel the pain. Someone to say, "I feel it! It is terrible! I know how bad it feels! I am around." I heard, "You are such an inspiration to so many. How can


you......." instead. I wanted to scream at the top of my voice, "I do not care! I can't breathe!!" Many of them came close to saying, "I told you so..." or "You already knew the result...." in their efforts to console me. I wanted to throw a bottle of water on them. However good sense prevailed and I talked to some of them how these lines were not helpful. And some of them grew with me in my grief. Bless them! 

Strangely one of the things that kept me floating somehow was my responsibility to make sure all my colleagues received salaries as some donor organisations stopped funding. I supported two of my colleagues ardently to raise funds as they worked towards it. I could take inspiration from their authentic concern. I was there for late night meetings. I was there for writing and rewriting proposals. That responsibility felt real in that unreal time when everything else felt meaningless. We are so much more even in our moments of intense anxiety. I was not only someone scrambling for help. I was helping too. I now think if I would have died by suicide on one of those days, most of you would have written a note expressing shock! I performed my roles well even as I felt that the grief picked my flesh bit by bit every hour of every day. Like a vulture. 

But trust me, I wanted my grief to be seen. I wanted me to be fully seen. And I so agree when Prof Neimeyer says, "Each person's grief is as unique as their fingerprint. But what everyone has in common is that no matter how they grieve, they share a need for their grief to be witnessed. That doesn't mean needing someone to lessen it or reframe it for them. The need is for someone to be fully present to the magnitude of their loss without trying to point out the silver lining." I need(ed) nothing other than someone saying, "I see you grieving." "I understand how hard! I feel it in my bones." 

Is the grief gone? No. It visits me at its will. I know every once in a while I will start breathing shallow at moments, my eyes will tear up, my heart will pound and my head will ask, "What kind of a world is this!" but now I do not try to control it. I let myself feel it. Be with it. Grief is my friendly and not so friendly visitor now.

I often argue there is no hidden life-lesson in grief. Do not try to tell people that they are stronger because of the grief or the trauma. However if I have learnt one thing out of my period of grieving then it is this: when someone shares their pain with me, I do not try to lessen it. I sit there with them with all my discomfort. My brain keeps saying, "..tell him to fix it! You can fix it too. Tell him how!" I don't. I don't point the silver lining. I do not sell false hope. I say, "I know how it feels. It is terrible. I am so sorry you have to face it. Who knows if there will ever be an answer to the questions you are asking now but I know no answer will lessen your pain. Be with it. And I am with you as long as you want me to. To listen. To work together. To stay away for the periods you want me to. I only know life is immensely liveable even with pain, with sadness, with periods of intense grief" 

My grief has curved a new me out of myself and newer versions of older friends who stayed put with me. We are all the same, but just grew together a bit. And I have immense gratitude for it. 


Comments

  1. I feel for you and the pain. Mostly evryone try to either avoid pain or relieve pain. Pain is not the state that we comfortable living in. That's why bandaid solutions and over compansating things with work happen. These are quick fixes and this i've learnt from you. I is so brave of you to write this down. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *it is sooo brave of you to to write this down. To relive the pain would have been soo painful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Hugs to you! You are a lovely human being. I write through tears at times but I still do hoping that someone will learn that trying to control grief does not work. Someone will learn if you are still a human being, grief will affect you. The best is to keep a support system ready that will let you grieve, accept your humanity, and love you no matter what.

      Delete
  2. It hits the heart, this piece... through all its haunting and truth... Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being with.
    Being it.
    Being for.
    You have defined 'Being'.
    Very powerful post!
    And very genuine. very direct. Very You.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh