Skip to main content

Claiming the Calm!

It is almost time to wrap the year! Although Instagram is offering a photo collage, have photos ever known the story as well as the words? For some may be yes! For me it's definitely a no!


In 2022, the bright idea of making life a little more calm struck me and struck me hard! For years a dear friend had been suggesting me to create a physical distance from the people who clearly did not contribute to my mental peace, but I hesitated. It was too comfortable staying in the place I called mine. I stayed there for years. The familiarity was comforting even if not peaceful. In 2019, I almost thought of shifting to another locality after Gogol left for college, but decided against it as it was not really ticking the requirement of being physically far that way, and soon there was covid...

In a nutshell, finally in 2022, I started claiming my calm. Well! Ahem! In instalments...

I claimed and reclaimed my physical and mental boundary​ this year​​Reclaimed because you need claiming it once is not enough. You need to practice it. And ​one has to become okay with being reprimanded for protecting one's boundary. ​It hurts me still to be judged but I am taking it more in my stride. ​I want to give myself a big pat in the back for not budging with threats, coercing, enticements. I ​firmly ​stood by my boundaries and let me tell you, ​it pays in terms of having a more peaceful existence (albeit boring without all the drama 😜)​, just do not forget it needs to be constantly emphasised. ​

This year I said the words that long sat on my chest with loads of empathy, and no expectation of acknowledgement or any discussion on that. The punishment that was (and is) meted out for saying them was too familiar. No surprises there. It is a norm to not to hold the abuser accountable in our society. The enablers jump in to tell you how s/he was hurt hearing all that... (where is my facepalm emoji! Sadho dekho jag baurana... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4KsztawP0 )

I became more mindful of who I want to meet. Understanding that time is on premium... I do not have the space to connect casually, while watching a movie, for example. Casual conversations tire me. I am looking for heart to heart. 


I tried building a calmer home in a calmer location this year. I am still around the "try" territory. It takes efforts. It needs a lot of unlearning and relearning. For one, I had forgotten cooking with only a few utensils. Now I have to cook, wash, cook again, and rewash the same ones. I did something like that last probably 25 years ago. I had to learn living without getting vegetables, meats, grocery on call. I surprised some people by the move who thought I thrive with people around. I understood long ago that I do not. I love my people dearly, but, they are few. I surprised some more who thought the motto of life is to "settle" and I, a middle aged woman, opted for just the opposite. None of these surprises were intended. I learnt people were surprised only along the way. I was only trying to stay away from things that disturbed me much. This thought itself surprised some more. Living with toxicity is the norm. "Who has heard people making a distance and being happy?!! One needs to remain bound by mutual-unhappiness. She is doing the opposite! How insolent! Zarur koyi aur baat hai!" 😁 

I learnt this year that like all other relationships, friendships are not forever. You grow. Your friend grows. You may grow in different directions and so far you can hold space for each other's growth, it is fine. I also learnt although you had once been together in one stage of life, you may not be at the same place at the same time throughout your life's journey. ​This year ​
I mustered up the courage to see the relationships for what they are. I accepted not being forgiven in some of them and being okay with it. I also learnt one does not have to be forgiven just because one has sought forgiveness, any way. Also forgiveness is not necessary for moving on. I also realised some pains will stay, especially those related to childhood, and we will still be our fullest selves. 

However, this year I also saw, if you keep your compassionate heart alive for your friend, it is always great to connect; physically or virtually, hugging or not. Friends are still my first and only family. One of my most memorable moments this year is sipping tea sitting on a rock amidst a gargling river and it was possible thanks to a generous friend! Friends still keep me there. 

This year I learnt telling one's own story in all sincerity is very important in professional

relationships too. No one needs to know the details of the predicament you are facing but if you can bring yourself to say you are facing one, most people are more than willing to understand you, to accommodate you, and take the cue and spread the trust in their circles. There are exceptions of course but I have found that people come with their baggage of wound, shame, trauma, mistrust to the workplace. Some of us are able to let go, some of us can not, at that point. I wish those who could not find the lost trust with us, they would find it somewhere else. I learnt to let go and not lament the departures. I learnt that going in the right time is as important.

I learnt to live my whole truth. If someone says "Oh you are the serious kind!" I do not flinch. I eagerly say, "Oh yes! Why would I be non-serious?" But I am also the frivolous kind. The bright laughing kind. The intense kind. The critically reflecting kind. I am all of that. In the course of a day I may feel loved, cherished, cared for, jealous, sad, angry, happy, amazed, shocked, grateful, overwhelmed, satisfied, proud and many many more. All these feelings are part of me. I am not them. 

I learnt there is so much to learn about m​yself ​and so much to be okay with. I lear
nt more about my own silly tricks, my efforts in implicating others for my (not so good) behaviour, my projections, my strangeness. I identified the woman who sits with a raised finger inside my head and asks me to follow all the conventions. I laughed and cried with myself. I finally understood that I get angry for very good reasons and learnt to be okay with it. Anger is a great boundary protection tool. I learnt about healthy anger and how not to hold it. And I am learning to love myself, finally. I am working on forgiving myself. It is about time, right?  I also learnt some people will never reflect and learnt being okay around them not pointing that they do not. 

In a nutshell, in 2022, I started claiming my calm.....In instalments. I started letting the clutter go.....I started owning my story. 

And in the new year, I will keep doing so....ever so slowly...

Comments

  1. Ohhh--- oshadharon!!!

    Yes, time is balwaan.

    I love you for being you. And being so unabashedly you. So inspiring!

    That you is so enticing. Needs a brave one to be that 'you'. And there is no crowd in that area. As very few are so brave. So you must be the lone 'you'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much ...yatto yatto bhalobasha! You remember Simone de Beauvoir's quote "I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for truth -- and truth rewarded me." I do not know if it rewarded me..I just know it frees me, everyday!

      Delete
    2. And getting free is a reward many abhor- while you chose to embrace at all costs. Kudos.

      Delete
  2. It was a treat reading this. We all at some moment of time seek to move towards self actualisation. And trying for it with different strategies is all worth it. You are doing the same. Keep it up. Keep going my friend. Keep listening to your heart loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all?!! Well! if you say so meri jaan 😁 thank you ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh