Skip to main content

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi? 

It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders appointed as military head by the emperor but in reality they were even more powerful than the emperors) from Japan sent back his exquisite tea set to China for repair. Chanoyu or the Japanese tea ceremony was incomplete without a beautiful tea-set from China.  He, unfortunately got it back with ugly metal staples and the Shogun therefore asked the zen master craftspeople of Japan to find a better way. Japanese Zen masters then thought of Kintsugi. In this a precious metal such as gold is used along with lacquer to put broken pieces of ceramics together. The result was a beautiful piece of crockery that told its own story. Openly. Without any shame! And Japanese culture embraced it and they were valued even more than an unbroken piece. Circa 2023, Kintsugi art pieces are coveted world over. Oh by the way, although the Shogun did not approve it, the stapled art is loved too! They are used in Greece, China, as well as in Russia. I therefore can not totally attribute Kintsugi's popularity to the  Japanese tradition of wabi-sabi, which is embracing of the flawed or the imperfect. It almost seems like a celebration of the wounded! Call it Raqs e bismil; the dance of the wounded....

As I was pondering on broken and mended being even more beautiful, I thought of us. We, who feel we are broken. We, who have been working on those broken pieces but find the healing painfully slow. We, who work on the healing for months even years along with all our work commitments, our relationship commitments, our commitment to life and living. We, who learn to notice our reactions so that we react less and respond more. We, who work on our empathy even more as we did not have the empathetic ones around when we needed them. We, who learn to say, "It's okay. You are on the right track! It takes time. Do you want a hug?" to other co-workers as we so want to hear these ourselves. We, who do that hard work at the temperature of 1,064 C  inside our hearts to see the gold melt and the pieces coming together, without any explanation, any apology, any turn around from the ones who broke us to pieces when we were most vulnerable, I wonder why can't we see ourselves more precious than ever! Is it because we do not see the value in the eyes of those around us? This world that only seem to value the "perfect" pieces mass-produced by the "fast-fashion", that world anyway can not afford a piece produced by Kintsugi! They therefore try to devalue what they can not afford given their years of learning, but as a beautifully curved, broken, and mended piece of art that I am, do I stand enough times in front of the mirror and see myself as that: a piece of high-art with pure gold glistening though the cracks in the light of dawn?

Many of you who talk to me regularly would know that I hate the word "strong" being used for me. I would give away that title of a "strong woman" in a jiffy for a childhood in which I was cherished as I was; a childhood without abuse, a well-supported young-adulthood, and a love filled life with a partner in my twenties. Or at least the first one! I would have handled the rest. However, I truly think my wounds make me unique like each broken piece put together by Kintsugi and I am my whole me with all of them. Some of them are rivers in my soul that call me shed a tear or two sitting beside them some times during the day. Some are like little water-springs that burst out of the earth in the monsoon. Some are perpetual patches like the rocky face of Sahyadri hiils. No amount of rain can help, but oh don't they look surrreal during sunsets! I keep living my life with all of them and fulfil my purpose just like that ceramic saucer that still holds food and shines while doing so. Why am I any less than a human who has not been broken ever? Am I not even more precious with my unique story highlighted in molten gold?

Comments

  1. It's beautiful Nayana... You have written this on behalf of so many of us! Much ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh that's the best thing I could have heard today! I thought of you so many times while writing ❤️

      Delete
  2. Baah. Daruunly expressed.

    You are unique.

    And the molten gold and metal staples too have enhanced the uniqueness.

    So well expressed.

    Chokhe jol eshe gelo podte podte.

    Bhalo thakish, ma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha.. Sudeshna di.. you are so so precious. Love you..

      Delete
  3. शुक्रिया नयना! दुबारा से ये अहसास दिलाने के लिए कि हम सब हीरा हैं हीरा! एकदम नायाब! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. मिलने के नहीं, नायब है हम! बहुत प्यार!

      Delete
  4. I would have loved to hear more from you but I know we would talk ... Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made efforts to make it light by adding story. But its hard, hard to think like this, to reflect like this, to connect with self like this. Very courageous, acknowledging the pain and broken self and feeling precious is another level of self reflection and being with self in this world where we act and pretend in response to situation and people around us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it seems I spoke too soon..here is a detailed response in line with the spirit of Aziz Dost I know! Thank you dost. The road is too tough indeed and these writings are in some way reminders to self. These are to also tell myself "hoga ..hoga... lage raho.."

      Delete
  6. You write for so many ...I am convinced that the crack makes one whole. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Cracks are after all the places from where light gets in... :) Big hugs

      Delete
  7. Lots of love ... You are so precious to me! So so precious. And I am so thankful you are in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful analogy Nayana! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh