Skip to main content

Service with vengeance!

"Why do you think poor are poor? Simple, because they can not manage their finances well. Not only that they also make bad choices, they are greedy and to top it all either alcoholic or a drug abuser". I got this whole new perspective in Europe this January. What an insight to begin the year!

And when the social security money that is provided is not enough (these poor fail to manage their finances again), the large  hearted, retired people of repute provide them food from the "Food Bank" in various parts of the country. They are large hearted indeed. What else can explain why they serve those they know as ignorant, greedy, drug and alcohol abusers!

The volunteers work hard to put together a basket of food. What do these baskets contain? Food leftover from the local groceries that are nearing their expiry date or are past these. The kind of food, chocolates, candies, biscuits, cookies, condiments, bread and at times milk and yoghurt (ofcourse past their expiry dates). A volunteer complained the fruit and vegetables they provide are generally stale. It is difficult to get these in better condition. She was really concerned. When I talked to the main "man" behind the Food Bank, he informed me indignantly how these poor only wanted sliced bread! Do they get it when they ask? Or a bottle of milk that they need? Or some yoghurt when they want? No prize for guessing! A basket is pre-decided. What you need is no one's concern!

Are these poor dependant on food from these charity institutions migrants? Are they from African and Asian countries? No, most of them are countrymen. Born and brought up in this rich European country itself. And they still fall out of line? Will that help you asking a question or two about how the line was formulated and kept in place? The phenomena has not yet helped their countrymen to ask these questions. And these people are not one or two. They are more than 300 in towns as small as a ward of a municipality in India. So many people who need support for food and the government still does not consider making food part of social security agenda. The opposition parties do not think this can be taken up as an issue. The tax payer thinks she is already giving enough!

If you are travelling to Europe anytime soon...do not visit a Food Bank. It left a bad after- taste in my mouth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh