Skip to main content

I dont know my name!

Memories of two incidents are bugging my mind today. I will be short though not so sweet here!

Thakur Ranh Singh walked across the main village lane. He was silent but his walking stick filled up the silent streets and conveyed the necessary message. No one turned up in the meeting that was planned long ago. We were in a village in Jaisalmer to hold a meeting against sex selective abortion and female infanticide. Ranh Singh is a member of the Village Health and Sanitation Committee. Technically he should have been the one organising the meeting with us. But that was not to be. His granddaughter had died within days of being born . The villagers' eyes changed colors when one enquired about the reason. One could hardly keep the news hushed...the baby was killed with a high dose of opium in the very home that she wanted to call her own. Asking for a home for a women in India? A sacrilege indeed!

We organised a training for women of Uttar Pradesh on health. Participants were in the age group of 25-45. It is another matter that no one looked less than 40! As usual the day started with a round of introduction. But we were soon to learn a few lesson on assuming the usual. One after the other women murmured their name among nervous laughter till one just refused to speak. The group nudged and prodded her to talk about herself. After much insistence she murmured the name of her village and asked the group to move on. But, this group was not ready to do so. They persisted. The facilitator was getting agitated, the other group members were commenting in this unreasonable behavior till she shouted out, "Now, I dont remember my name. I dont even know if I ever had one. I never went to school. I was Ramavtar ki bitiya  and then became Rampravesh ki awrat before I became Yogesh ki amma! No one has ever called me by any other name. No one has even asked whether I have a name. What is this joke that you have started here! Stop this now or let me go back to my housework." She was really annoyed. Asking a woman to remember her name? A sacrilege indeed!

Comments

  1. This is why CHild Sex Ratio is declining, Nayana as you know... The question is where to start initiating the change. I have been a part of Mahila Samakhya's documentation, and I learnt, Rights based, women's organisation is probably one answer. I am impressed of their works... Will send you a CD, Ashok sircar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashokda! I would have really liked if you could have visited my groups' work in UP. But please read "Chamkala ba dekho sabki pardhaniya". Empowering Rural Program is a result of my continuous learning regarding community organisation processes. I have carefully learnt the dos and donts.

    Child sex ratio will never improve unless we strengthen the position of the mother. There is no place for a half hearted effort in it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh