Skip to main content

Making sense of this perpetual nonsense

"If the grass is to mean anything, a time comes when you have to get up, brush the ladybugs (he actually said "ladybirds") from your shirt and trousers and proceed to your desk to write"....so says Ruskin Bond. And here I was...trying to sell the same species showing how essential she is to make sense of what is there on the grass!

Now, making sense of things comes to you quite naturally at times and not so naturally other times. And it never ever comes to you however hard you might try in certain cases. Gosh! While trying to make sense, I am sounding a bit nonsensical myself! Lets take an example. I was walking with Parama Sabar in hilly terrain of Gunupur, South Odisha (that is, he was walking and I was huffing and puffing!). He talked as we climbed a long and winding road to reach his village for a meeting at night. We were talking about the (in)famous "Ambatakua" (seed of a mango) statement by a state minister of Odisha. When people died of eating mango seeds in this area, the minister wanted to pass off the death due to hunger as death due to food poisoning. He said, after all these tribals are habitual eater of of mango seeds! They have done so forever! Therefore, the death by eating pest infested mango seeds is not death due to hunger. But then the idiots like me would still ask why would a human being eat a pest infected mango seed? Can't they see its uneatable? Parama was discussing their food habit. They are Lanjhiya Soura, a Particularly Vulnerable  Tribe Group (PTG)http://www.fra.org.in/newspaper.htm

Parama pointed towards a small plant and said, "As children we ate a lot of these leaves. Our mothers used to mix this with our daily portion of rice. It gave us dysentery and diarrhoea.  We used to hold our tummy and cry. Inspite of these bad episodes, we always mixed these leaves with our rice. I wonder why did we do that? Were we really that stupid? When I grew up I realised we never had enough rice. Almost never. You could tell it by the quantity of leaves that we mixed in our rice." I heard him. I had no words to respond. The road looked a little hazy afterwards. 

I kept on thinking, as Parama finally could make sense of his community's behaviour, did the Government of India do so too? Because "A study by the National Nutrition Monitoring Bureau says that more than 60 per cent of Scheduled Tribes have a body mass index (BMI) of less than 18.5. According to the World Health Organisation, if more than 40 per cent of the population of a community has a BMI of less than 18.5, the community can be considered to be in a condition of famine." Does this perpetual famine make sense? Will we ever be able to make sense of this uninterrupted condition of hunger for particular communities in this country that claims food sufficiency year after year and boasts upon green revolution? And a complete denial by government that people are dying of hunger? I don't think the ladybug can help you much here. May be you should then do what Mr. Ruskin Bond asked you to...get up, brush the grass off your shirt and pants and proceed.. Do so...they are waiting.

Comments

  1. date: 1st march 2013
    dear nayana ji,
    after reading your blog post around the issues of entitlement/right to food; I am surprised that people in India still eat pest-infected mango seeds and grass leaves and severely suffering from it. They do not have food grains to eat and on other hand; our govt. talks about rhetorically about the right to food. With these facts, today in morning I was contemplating and framing our views (to send you my comment on your blog post) in my mind with ‘Tea and ToI’ and going through union budget 2013- highlights and views of different persons on it. And thinking that how far our govt is serious about the food security.. Incidentally, my eyes reached on a column of page 11 “view from the ground by Aruna Roy ji, Member, NAC. The heading of this column is “lip service for hungry mouth”. hope you may have also read this nicely and precisely written column today. Of course budget are one of the most effective ways to evaluate the political priorities of a govt. this one demonstrates little/ almost no concern of govt. for neglected, discriminated and deprived people like in Odisha who eat mango seeds and grass leaves. Budget outlay for rural development has fallen for NREGA over the last three years. The insignificant increase in allocation for food security really demonstrates lack of seriousness to increase food entitlements. A question always strikes in mind; that how can civil society intellectuals/organizations influence effectively to govt. for making the budget pro-poor?

    jagdish giri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh