Skip to main content

Setting it right for generations to come

In Social Work education, we were often taught to put theory into practice. As we entered the "field" however, most of the theories seem redundant. The "field" tests all you have learned. Not only through your books but also through your life. However, when I decided to go back to reading some of the recently published books on community work this year, I found a lot of what I was doing were making perfect theories! Several Deja vu moments for me in the past one week.

"Jelkhana se chhutne ki khwahish nahi..jelkhana jalane ka wada karo" (We do not wish only to get freed from these prisons but promise to burn down the prison itself) Pudna and other women continued the rest of the song with much fervor but I remained stuck on those words. "Which prison are they talking about?" I thought, "Are they now calling their marital homes, prison?" I could not wait for the rest of the song to get over. "What is this prison?" At least three or four attempted answering at the same time. "Jelkhana is this oppression, Didi. We want to burn it down forever. Forever, mind it! We don't want any of our daughters and daughters-in-law to fight this battle again" I could hardly believe my ears. The Nari Sangh (the local CBO) there is just over a year old and such maturity!

I remembered my books that said, "People and communities may win on the issues, but that does not necessarily mean they develop new understandings of how and why they won, of power and how it is exercised, of difference and how it is exploited. They may experience power of numbers but not necessarily the concurrent power of knowledge, of understanding." And here were evidence of Nari Sangh members experiencing power of knowledge and understanding.

"What battles do you fight?" I asked. "Oh several! When we go out neighbors say, here come the shameless women who sit in front of men! Badhmanai (the big people) used to provoke our husbands and we were beaten up at homes. After all we cause inconvenience to these big people. At home, we are often asked what (material) would we get  out of these meetings! For some it is an everyday struggle even today but some of us now get support from our families. They not only support us so that we can attend the meetings and trainings but also reply to outsiders who try to taunt us." Do women in these villages face violence? "Much less than before" was the unanimous answer. Why? "They know we understand our rights. That we will not take it lying down. They also know we are not alone. More than 200 women can anytime come out in our support." The combined force of knowledge and number was at work here.

" What do you get?" I tried provoking the leaders at the risk of irking the NGO workers. "Don't you think you give in too much and get back too little? After all you put in your own money, your time and you risk your well-being too. What is the point?" "Bahut fayda ba"..."We have gained a lot!" was the answer,everywhere, without fail. And these felt "benefits" soon surpassed issues of MNREGA (that supports 100 days' work for rural adults in India) wages or getting rid of corruption and touched issues of  "knowledge", "information" and then "identity", "respect","dignity" and of course, "We feel wonderful whenever we come and meet other women from Nari Sangh. It makes us stronger!"


Books say, organizing is an empowering process that increases psycho-social well-being. In Jalalpur Block of Ambedkar Nagar I found women talking about reduction in incidents of suicide due to Nari Sangh's work. Reduction in suicide of women is a fact but whether it can be attributed to Nari Sangh, remains a question in my mind. No such confusion exists in their mind though. The members of Nari Sangh would like to believe that through their own experiences. 

At the face of it Empowering Rural Women program works on issues of socio-economic rights. However, as it strongly relies on and hence strengthens the process of community organization, it has been able to claim the civil-political rights of the women involved. A battle for immediate entitlements thus evolves into struggle for finding one's "self" in the collective identity. And as I can see in actual work on human rights, it is only in the UN that one has to separate the civil political rights from socio-economic and cultural rights, not in people's lives. 

Comments

  1. Wow" this is powerful and inspiring. Keep writing Nayana, will wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sustainable Development" a Social sector jargon I heard since I joined this sector...Sometimes saw 'So called' social sector professionals those who could not manage a space elsewhere coming to our sector and make sarcastic remarks on the values of NGOs and smiles while talking or writing about 'Sustainable Development'....I think, this is a right example for them to understand what 'Sustainable Development' actually means...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You documented your field observations really in very touching and message giving way. I really enjoyed reading your blog.
    Regards,

    Jagdish Giri
    PANI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the field experience you shared here. Though I have almost zero experience in this field, but in general seen that always there is a gap between book theories and practicality. Yes field’s grass root work experience is the only bridge between theory and practicality. The one, who find out that bridge is the successful one in the field work, like you.
    Yes, fully agree with you that society is changing, though on it’s own pace, very slow, experiencing from Bengal. I hope these type of activities (like making Nari Sangha, etc.) will make the changes faster towards a ‘balanced’ society for our children / grandchildren / ……. No I will not say for daughter / granddaughter /….., it’s for all, for the society.
    At the same time, I am a bit afraid about the negative side of any movement. Starting from class V history book of Vedic Lopamudra / Gargi period to current days or our India independence movement I understand that always we have seen the other side of the same wall only, not any new morning sunlight. But always hope for the best…
    Please keep on sharing your field experiences.

    SUSAMOY MISHRA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh