Skip to main content

Growing and learning

We grew up in an industrial township. My life has been my field of learning (and unlearning) in that way. My father worked as a laborer in a steel factory. No. He was not an officer. He was a steel factory worker. It would not have been so much fun otherwise. Officers had ground floor bungalows, separated from others' bungalows by boundaries. We grew up with other steel factory workers' children. They were our brothers, sisters, friends, love interest and idols. Imagine a whole world made up of steel factory workers and their families!

We all had the same two room flats known as "quarters". We had two rooms; the "inside room" (bhetorer ghar) and the "outside room" (bairer ghar). The household often poured outside these two rooms. Backyard gardens of the ground floor quarters were used to store coal for fuel. Stairs going to the roof used as shoe-racks for two quarters on the second floor. When I fell in love with the boy next door, I used to always arrange my shoes next to his. It could not be too obvious to others, though. It had to look casual. Therefore, my shoes were casually thrown on the stairs after I came back from my hopscotch sessions in the ground nearby but somehow they always landed next to his shoes. And the innocent me, of course did not know how!

Our fathers always talked in high pitched voices. It took a lot many years to realize that it is not natural to talk in that high volume. Almost all of them developed some hearing issues from working in an environment where machinery made loud noises. They spent at least eight hours every day there. Growing up, when people shouted our names from the ground floor and we could hear them in the second floor "inside room", it only felt natural. Who would come up four flights of 12 stairs each to just pass a message when you could come out in the balcony and hear them (along with all the other neighbors staying in the same street).

Growing up I could not believe there can be houses in this world that had no number on them. It seemed impossible that a postman would find a house without a number consisting of a main street number, a sub-street number and finally the house number. For example, 4D/5, 5/43 etc. It seemed strange when people had a house by a name. It was even stranger when letters could reach the correct house on the basis of a name written on top of the address space, without a street number, without a house number!

Waiting for public transport (read mini-buses) for hours was the most dreaded part of any outing! At times we had returned back from the bus stop itself after waiting for hours. The buses around 3.30 pm were the most crowded as people went to visit relatives in the 650 bedded DSP hospital. During monsoon at least 900 patients had to be accommodated and their 4500 relatives made it impossible to travel by buses between 3.30 pm to 6.30 pm! None of our parents owned a car. It did not seem a commodity that we should be bothered about. We became deft in handling crowded public transport thus. Buses, mini-buses, very crowded local trains, we braved it all. As young kids we had to regularly visit the Health Centres where they stitched our gashing wounds, dressed them, gave us anti-tetanus and penicillin injections and handed out red colored undrinkable syrups for cough and cold. We were visionaries to drain the measured portion each day instead of gulping it, as the world knows now, syrups are no better than chicken soup in curing colds!

We never cared much about caste and religion. Being workers in the same factory our parents did not have much say in choosing their neighbor and I must say to their credit that I had not heard our parents or friends' parents giving us a lecture on not eating or drinking with anyone. We hence grew up pretty oblivious to our castes. Later in life when in one of my post graduation classes while explaining religious discrimination, a Professor asked each one of us to name 5 friends from another religion and that I did not have trouble doing that, could largely be attributed to my growing up years. 

Latest by the 15th of every month, mothers found it difficult to run the households. They discussed strategies sitting in a circle in the lazy afternoons. They knitted, exchanged recipes and woes. The salary was never enough. First generation urban dwellers, they found it difficult to run households with cereals and pulse bought at local shops. Durkheim's Theory of Anomy was proved every other month by news of a suicide in a quarter nearby. 

We still grew up fine. More often than not. Many of us ended up in white collar jobs in various parts of the world. No we did not become engineers as most parents in my hometown would have liked their children to be but that did not stop us from becoming authors, film makers, actors, pharmacy man,  sportsperson, doctors, dancers, globe trotters, poets and of course engineers. 

And yes! Wherever we are May Day is still a very important day and a certain Mr John Henry from West Virginia is a very important person is our lives.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGxZbOB1Eo




Comments

  1. Are you sure you pronounced "Quarter"? Till today I pronounce it "Ko-aa-tar"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are absolutely right! koaataar it was :)

      Delete
  2. The story of our emotions threaded so beautifully.......I actually went back to my childhood.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely read!

    Jaanish, me too from similar background. Rourkela Steel Plant. Amader baba retired from Coke Ovens. We found him covered with coal. Coal in boots, on hair, face and strong arms. Jaggery water was his primary health drink.
    We knew baba worked amidst dangerous situations... all sorts of occupational hazards, faced near death work experiences... heroic acts of saving others' lives, breakdowns in department...

    Life in the quarters was always fun filled...
    Baba going for morning shift duty after attending night gaaner programme on someones' terrace on 'Dol'...
    Bijoya doshomi... naadu-shonkho shondesh-nimki.. the fixed menu... Maa could bake good cakes, so amaader baarir bijoya was a little different...
    Both dada and I loved to do bijoya... in others' houses and at our house repeatedly...
    Nice sharing rey Nayana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this sharing too. This is so nice to read :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh