Skip to main content

The predicament of a wash

This blog post came to my mind while going through many writings in the recent past on how a whole generation of us have been taught to establish man woman equality. And on a lighter vein, how seriously we took that role! 


When I joined the development sector, I was out to prove anything that a man of my age could do, I could do too. And working in SRUTI, a NGO that supported activists in far flung areas of the country, I was subjected to the toughest of the tests in this regard. To begin with SRUTI was highly skeptical about adding a woman to their team (of men, largely). I had to jump into proving that I was no less than a "man in the team" the moment I joined. I joined on 5th of May and I was sent to Jhabua area of Madhya Pradesh for a month starting 11th of May. This post is specifically about the struggles of washing one self in the areas where there was no concept of a bathroom and men, with whom you were travelling did not think they should try to make any extra effort to make it any easier for you. It felt as if some of them almost said under their breath, "You are the one who wanted to prove you can do what men can do!  Chalo...bhugto ab! Come...face it!" 


I was having my periods when I was sent on a motor bike from Sendhwa to Badwani which was close to 90 km where a rally was being organised to protest the death of an anti-liquor activist. By the way, no body liked my huge backpack which had medicines to mugs, but this kept me going through those weeks. On the way, I tied my half dry long top on my head. It served dual purpose. I was partially protected from the summer sun and the long top got as dry as paper by the time I reached Badwani. Upon reaching Badwani no one thought of asking whether I need a washroom and I could not ask for one too. It was the area through which a lot of urban women came and went and everyone adjusted. I was suppose to do that too. It was only at night that I got to stay at a Narmada Bachao Andolan's activist's house and could visit a washroom. There were so many big black ants on the floor that I was almost thankful that only one bit me.

The next day early morning, I was sent to the Pati area villages, to learn. Almost all of us were sent to these "learning" trips which we later renamed the "ragging" period in SRUTI. When I left for Pati in the morning, that was the last time I saw an urban soul for the next 15 days. I was first in custody of Sumli bai who took me from one place to another by foot. Sumli bai was a strong Barela (a tribe group of MP) woman who used to laugh loud at my efforts to carry my back pack around. She walked around with just another change. We slept in rope beds under open sky within the larger boundary of mud-houses where the cattle was tied for the night. We often woke up as a goat or cow breathed hard on our faces middle of the night but washing was the most difficult task of the day. 

Mid day, the women folk found some time to take me to the nearest nalla or a small stream that hardly had any water in the middle of the summer season. As the woman who walked with me would keep hurrying me up to finish my wash as soon as possible, I would keep looking here and there spotting the shepherds nearby or people walking on the road. Whenever I said, "There are so many people here", I was quickly rebuffed "No one looks this side!" Well! I did not believe her then but I did not have much choice. After that wash with scanty water, it was terrible to walk back a kilometer to their house. Whatever respite that little water provided from the heat, would all be gone. 

A few days later we started walking through many villages towards Khargaon again. This time on the way near Badwani a senior colleague joined in. I walked with a big group of mostly men and they, along with this senior colleague would often take a wash at the tube-well situated at the middle of the village, pretty oblivious to my existence. One day I also tried. Fully clothed. It was nice to be wet in water and not sweat. However, when I stood up to change my clothes I then realized, the many houses that were lined nearby none had a door to close. They only had the door frame. I entered one to change and tried hard to keep my faith in physics and kept on repeating to myself, "No one can see me as they are in the sun and I am inside where it is dark." If anyone could time me, I think I could have made a record in "who can change their clothes the fastest"! 

It all seem funny in retrospect. Sharing the room with 35 others in Dahanu, with 50 others in Seva Gram and 70 in Mudumalai sanctuary. All the men in half pants, all the women fully clothed. All the men taking shower below the mountainous falls. All the women trying to avoid the mud created by the bath water in the small areas surrounded by clothes to take a wash.  Could I prove I was as good as the men to the non-believers? I don't think so. By hiding our periods, by hiding our difficulties, by bearing the heat while being fully clothed, by sacrificing that one wash during the day in the peak of summer, is that what I achieved? I think what I achieved was a completely different thing. I have become more respectful to people's basic needs as well as mine. I can surely say, I would not repeat those early mistakes that I carried on making for quite a few years. 

I was relieved when a junior colleague joined and proclaimed in a high pitched voice in Seva Gram, "You men might go with one towel to the wash room and come out in the same. Provide us a room to change or it will be too much for you too". It was a relief she could say that. I have never failed this junior colleague from then on. From Vizag's tribal organisation to the women's SHG promoting organisation in Uttar Pradesh, I have raised the issue of a proper toilet, a proper wash-room for women or at least a wash room with hooks to hang one's clothes, every where. I have never let anyone make me feel slighted for my need of getting a room to change my sanitary pads or a basic minimum wash. Ever again. 



Comments

  1. Wonderful!
    So it's like ...Apart from thinking Global and Acting Local, Yes, it is important to 'Be Vocal'.... about the basic needs...a bold step towards sensitization is what your Junior colleague did...breaking the silence and breaking the barrier of self stigma. Nice read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. In my quest to work under any kind of condition with the community, I failed myself a few times. And learned a lot from the women colleagues who joined later

      Delete
  2. I guess, ei basic byapar gulo amader moddhey chotobela theke ingrain kora hoyeche.... Meye der choto theke sekhano hoy jayga dekhey-lok dekhey bathroom use korbe like 59 S .N. Bose e drawing room er samne bathrom chilo bole amader koto porda diye separate kore rakhte hoto.... aar beshir bhag somoy toder wait korte hoto lokjon chole jawa obdhi.... Similarly chele der kache bathroom use kora ta kono byapar e chilo na... tara jokon tokhon jekhane khushi bathroom use korte parey.... aar tara realize o kore na j tader counter part er o proyojon hote pare.... a lot of men even in our generation do not keep the toilet seat up while..... tai ei mind set gulo change korte hole khanikta meyeder egiye ashte hobe aar khanikta chele der... Both has equal roles to play....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written and must say well documented. I think men should think about need of women. Though I had many similar experiences in my early days of career. But let me add my trips are much shorter and much better places. I started noticing that gradually male colleagues become much concerned about need of female colleagues. I think that's a silver lining- women need be vocal and men to be concerned. There will be change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put nayana..can so identify with this...remember once bathing in a small room with two buffaloes staring at me and shitting at the same time in rajkumar's area with half a bucket of water...could not make out whether i was clean or dirtier than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha Shipra! That exactly describes the situation :) that it was most of the time

      Delete
  5. Thought-provoking, incisive and candid! You have brought out a very important aspect of our mindset that hasn't changed over many decades now. This is a matter of basic human rights, and unfortunately as a country we are yet to provide this right to the vast majority of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saswati Swtlena: yes...completely agree with u..this always used to be a worrying thing during field visits...one thing i sometimes used to do was to avoid travelling during periods but wasn't 'lucky' all the time.That was the phase when I felt this was something meant to hide so using the word lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Javed Waris: You fight for others right being in the social sector but a junior fought for your right ultimately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shatabdi Mitra: I can almost see u while reading ur lines..
    pushkin is right that certain things was ingrained from the day 1 .... washroom is a basic need of people.. some men wont think twice to pee in public place if someone ask for a washroom others proudly say that " r a meyeder moto bathroom chai bujhi.. khub ekta aslil ingit kore"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well written.... I do see two things here
    1. Provision of basic needs for a female co-worker, and not taking her for granted and assume that everything is fine.
    2. The reality... probably this is true for females who also live in those areas. Nobody cares for them. If they'd have had the basic requirement fulfilled, you would have also got the same.

    The first part is changing, I have seen over time. But I am not sure about the second one. This is a cultural issue. Is this the reason that people call us "third world nation?"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh