Skip to main content

What are you drunk on tonight?

"We believe in five principles", Sumati started again with a smile (she was amused that she had to repeat it), "We make collectives. Our collectives bring us strength. The strength helps us to get access to resources. These resources help in bringing solutions to social problems. And finally the solutions bring peace in the long run". Several of the gathered women repeated the principles with equal ease. Sumati and the others present have formed a village level organisation to struggle for their rights, which they call Mahila Sangathan.ERW program

The Mahila Sangathan did not only take up issues of five entitlements, that they call their resources, which are, 100 days' job card, ration card (access to subsidized food-grain), Mamata card (health entitlements), houses and land patta (registration) but also worked towards sorting social problems such as excessive drinking among men. They have made sure that although their God still needed an offering of liquor, the men don't drink more than that is offered, which is merely a small bowl. What a brilliant idea! The tradition maintained but the ill-effects are curbed. They could do this as they stopped selling of "kuchiya mada" (liquor by small owners) in their locality. "Didn't the men stop you from doing so?", I asked. "They asked but could not stop us. We are in a group", was the answer. They were pretty drunk on the new found power of collectives. The Mahila Sangathan members were happy that they could go to the Police and inform about their moves against liquor shops beforehand and Police cooperated. 
Let me contextualize it a bit. These women are from the Kondha tribe of Turaikela area of Western Odisha. Kondha is the largest tribe group of Odisha. According to a website that talks on them, "Liquor is a necessity for all Kondha. It is considered as food and at the same time a ritualistic food to satisfy deities and spirits. It is considered a social necessity and therefore consumed by them irrespective of sex and age." Therefore the efforts of Sumati and her fellow women were no less than a mini revolution in this region dominated by the "crimson" brothers working for the bigger revolution! Till that come, the women of the area carry on their struggle. 

After close to 15 years in the sector it does not move my heart any more when I hear, "We would have ran away had you come more than a year ago but now we are here, sitting with you.". Please don't misunderstand me. I truly think it is indeed an achievement for women and men from a tribal group to be able to face people from mainstream societies who speak a different language, dress entirely differently and ooze confidence that borders on aggression. But my ears strain themselves to hear some more after all these years. And that's when voices of Sumatis rescue me. They never fail to surprise me and make every visit to the field area memorable. These voices make me unlearn the cynicism that I pick up from time to time. 
Village after village I have come across women who think the liquor shop is their enemy number one. The moment they have a group, the first spontaneous agenda is against that shop, which keep them away from a fair share of their men's income at the end of the day. That shop, which keeps their children away from their two square meals. They fight against it with all their might, at the first opportunity. All the frustrations of being beaten on an empty stomach by a drunk man surface when they attack the menace. There is no dearth of enthusiasm. At the same time, my experience teaches me I should not to be too hopeful about the community ban on liquor, in spite of their best efforts. With a government aggressively pushing sell of liquor and help opening liquor shops at every nook and corner of the state, especially rural and tribal areas, people of Odisha have little to hope for. And the irony? Government of Odisha claims they will use the revenue generated in children's education in the state.  

Do you think they meant education of the children whose parents are dead drinking?

Comments

  1. WIll definitely read contributing quality time....well...seeing the poverty striken child on her mother's lap & concluding that you must be doing something for them made me very happy that there are people who r for them...keep up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mother and Not Going By the Conventional Wisdom!

It all started with a picture I posted with a glass of beer in front of me in Facebook. A childhood friend (male) felt inspired to call me up and give me some "good advice" on how I can delete the picture in order to be a good mother to my son. He added, "You anyway hold a full-time job and travel. Is  that not bad enough for your son that you feel like posting these kind of pictures?! Always remember, now you are a mother first!" with extra emphasis on NOW!  I think my son, Gogol (Agneebh) was about 11 years old then. We had a good laugh talking about that incident and the advice on hiding the fact that I drank occasionally, as he cleaned the fridge and I cleaned and deveined prawns while sharing space in the kitchen today. As we discussed more such examples and giggled some more, the late-teen boy felt I must write a blog-post around my tryst with such advices. So here you go!  I became  a mother as a 25 year old and was comfortable wearing my skirts and t-shirts.

Are We Even More Precious as Broken and Mended?

Are we? Am I? Are you? Are we even more precious because of the wounds, the cracks, the riffs we have in our hearts that we have worked on for years, much alike the ceramic pieces which have gone through Kintsugi ? Are we even more beautiful because we are broken and we did not divert ourselves away from those cracks through the most celebrated addiction of our times, "busy-ness"? Or for that matter dissociated to the extent that parts of us became unreachable along with those cracks? Can we claim higher value than a human who was never broken or for that matter never looked at their broken parts and worked on them? But even before we go there, do we, ourselves consider us exquisite pieces of higher value or are we constantly shaming ourselves about our brokenness and our healing journeys much like the pieces recreated through Kintsugi?  It is popularly believed that Kintsugi or Kinsukuroi came into existence around the 15th Century when a Shogun (hereditary military leaders

The Price of Not Playing by the Societal Norms!

 As I was reading about leaving a toxic relationship with one's mother and it brought back so many dreaded memories of the time that I was trying to get out of non-functional at best and abusive at worst marriage. As I read through the article by a psychologist talking about a client and came to these lines:  "She: I will lose all my relatives one by one. Nobody understands I am victim of a toxic mother. They will believe my mother and that I left her when I became independent ." ... it brought back the memory of my ex-mother in law shouting at me over phone! "You are such an ungrateful wretch! You are selfish beyond any imagination. I must say that you can't think of anyone else but yourself. Just because you now earn more than him now, you want to leave him!" I stood holding the phone in shock! I always thought of her as a well educated woman who clearly saw I had much more empathy than her own son as she clearly prefered me over him to take care of her wh